Dental examinations help to diagnose oral disease before it becomes hazardous to your health and treat the ones that already exist. Regular examinations can save you money on dental treatment by alleviating problems while they are small.
Your dental examinations generally include the following:
- Periodontal disease diagnosis: The examination focuses on bleeding or puffy gums, tooth infection, bad breath or any other problem around the tooth.
- Oral cancer screening: This involves a thorough checkup to examine if any signs of oral cancer exist. Regular examinations help in early diagnosis and treatment.
- Cavities and tooth fractures: Checks on any possible wear and tear of cavities and detects tooth fractures.
- Evaluating current restorations: A regular oral examination helps in evaluating the status of the restorations - fillings, veneers, crowns, implants, bridges and so on.
- Examining tooth decay/caries/cavity: Early detection of tooth decay helps in timely treatment of the tooth decay, which includes filling, crown, root canal treatment and extraction depending on the severity of the problem.
We cannot stress enough how important it is to see your dentist regularly. Remember, preventing disease is always better than treating disease.